Sunday, May 31, 2009

So Far So Lame

Okay blogger people, I need help! I started this blog a few weeks ago but I can’t bring myself to let anyone know I have a blog because it’s so lame so far. I look at all of your cute blogs that look like pages from a professional digital scrapbooking magazine, yet after several hours of installing and fumbling my way around an old version of photoshop just to put my own title on someone else’s header, it just looks like something 1970’s barfed on my blog.


Before marriage I was a fairly good journaler and I’ve used all sorts of journals. My very first journal was a fabric covered gem with teddy bears all over it. One of my favorite journals was a plain black artist’s sketch book. Whenever I needed a new journal (and sometimes when I didn’t) I would try to choose something that fit me at that time in my life so that I would be excited and inspired to write in it. I realize that everything we do/have does not need to be wrapped in a pretty package (though I know my husband would much appreciate anyone who could really truly convince me of it) but I’ve looked at my poor new blog everyday for two weeks now and can’t seem to will myself to write anything on it…I just can’t get inspired.


So please, all of you blogger pros...let me in on your secrets.

5 comments:

  1. No suggestions, after all, I'm the lame cousin. But I'm so excited about you doing it. If you're looking for help, Meg put together my header and changes her often. She'd be great for advice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. whoot whoot! You have a blog! Yay!
    I know, I have been in slumps before too...it feels like NOTHING even half worth mentioning is going on. Think of a funny thing your kid did, or something you have an opinion on. Or I started a thing called Throwback Thursdays, where you post a picture from the past (however far back you want to go) and tell a little blip about it.
    ANYTHING!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been blogging for a couple of years now and the best advice I have to give is DON'T compare your writing/style/look to anyone else's. It doesn't do any good. Don't worry about who's reading... don't worry about what it looks like, just be yourself and it will be a lot easier to post frequently.

    And WHAT are you talking about your blog doesn't look good? 1970 is fab. The header is cute.. the title is good. The only thing I wish I would have done is NOT include my last name in my title or web address. After a while, you will get a lot of readers who don't know you.. and that scared me a bit. I had to go back, change the name, redirect everyone, etc. etc. It was a pain. I wish I would have done it from the beginning. It's easy to change the web address under Settings/Publishing.

    So, really... don't be shy about it. Don't stress so much and try to focus on the fact that you're keeping track of the funny things your kids do while they're young. Comments don't matter. Keep saying that to yourself over and over :) Good luck and glad you have an up and running blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, you have a blog! For fun! I don't have too much advice about how to make it all fancy because I don't do the digital scrapbooking stuff. I just know that I always love to look at the pictures so make sure you have lots of pics posted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL, I happen to think your blog looks AWESOME!! And shame on you for not spreading the word! I'll be stalking you!

    ReplyDelete